Joux Château

Share:

With its five fortified walls, Joux Château demonstrates the development of fortifications over ten centuries.

 

The ten centuries of history of this fortress, the first constructions of which date from 1034, present developments made in defences on a 2-hectare site: the solid towers of the Middle Ages, the bastions from Vauban's era and the modern fort built in front of the château by Joffre in 1879.


 

Three ditches with drawbridges protect a world of prisons, from the dungeon which housed the legendary Berthe de Joux to the cells where Mirabeu, Kleist and Toussaint Louverture were confined.


 

A particularly memorable feature of the site is a large well, a vertiginous cylinder dug out of the rock.


 

A rich museum of weapons from the 18th and 19th centuries, which holds several particularly rare pieces, is a perfect complement to the visit.


 

In addition to the various exhibitions, visitors will see a scale model of the château measuring 3.64m by 1.76m complete with audio commentary.


 

Visits, talks, evening events and the Nuits de Joux festival in July-August are organised.

 

  • View from La Fauconnière viewpoint. ©Ordifana75

    View from La Fauconnière viewpoint. ©Ordifana75

  • View of the château. ©Ludovic Péron

    View of the château. ©Ludovic Péron

  • Plan of the château in 1717. © French national library

    Plan of the château in 1717. © French national library

Source : Château de Joux

Joux Château

25300 La Cluse-et-Mijoux

Tel: +33 (0)3 81 69 47 95

e-mail: ccl-chateaudejoux@orange.fr

Official Joux Château website

Share: