Fort la Latte

Vue générale du fort. Source : ©Llorenzi - License Creative Commons - Libre de droit

Built in the 13th century, Fort La Latte...

This castle was built in the 13th century on a rocky headland by the famous Breton Goyon-Matignon family.

Two drawbridges cross the crevasses that separate the castle from the mainland. Due to its strategic position, over the years the castle has seen many interesting times. Du Guesclin laid siege to it in 1379. During the troubles associated with the Catholic League the buildings were largely destroyed by fire, with only the keep resisting the attacks. It was a very badly damaged castle that attracted the interest of Louis XIV. Garangeau was charged with converting it into a coastal defence stronghold (between 1690 and 1715), thus ensuring its survival. The old feudal castle underwent many changes, the chapel was rebuilt in the early 18th century and the furnace for heating canon balls dates from 1793. During the 19th century, Fort La Latte was gradually abandoned until it was staffed by a single guard. It was decommissioned in 1890 and sold two years later. In 1931, it was classified as a historical monument and restored.
Access By road: From Rennes - N12 E50 Lamballe - Follow Cap Fréhel on the D768, D13 and D34 Train: Lamballe (30 Km) Air: Dinard-Pleurtuit (30 Km) Tours The castle is open every day: - 11 April to 30 September from 10am to 12.30pm and from 14h30 to 18h - October 1 to April 10 during school holidays, Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 14h30 to 18h The castle is closed the rest of the time Contacts Tel.: +33 2 96 41 40 31 email

  • Fort la Latte. Photo Régis Hidalgo

  • Fort La Latte Photo ECPAd

  • > Return to results

    Practical information


    la latte
    02 96 41 40 31


    Plein tarif: 5,10 € Tarif réduit: 4 €

    Weekly opening hours

    Du 1er avril au 30 septembre: de 10h30 à 12h30 et de 14h à 18h. Du 8 juillet au 28 août: de 10h30 à 19h.

    Fermetures annuelles

    Fermé le 25 décembre et le 1er janvier