Museum of the 5th of June 1944, the "Verlaine Message", of Tourcoing
The World War II Museum is located in the German 15th Army staff headquarters’ command bunker, a rare SK1 model.
The World War II Museum is located in the German 15th Army staff headquarters’ command bunker, a rare SK1 model, which they occupied in Tourcoing from 1941 to 1944.
On 5 June 1944 at 9.15 pm, in this bunker camouflaged with brick facing to protect it from Allied bombing, the "Verlaine" message ("Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone") was heard and analysed by the Germans as announcing the Normandy landing of 6 June 1944.
Source : Préfecture du Nord
This museum evokes various aspects of the Second World War: the Atlantic Wall, the war of the airwaves between the occupying forces and the resistance fighters, the operations of the staff headquarters and, every year, a topical exhibition on military operations during the war. Many victims are included in this approach to the duty of remembrance, attached to the evocation of the battles and tribulations of those who suffered and struggled for freedom and the defence of civic values.
The Museum is located at 4 bis Avenue de la Marne, as you come into Tourcoing on the "Grand Boulevard", coming from Lille.
It is open on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month, from 9.30 am to 12 pm and from 2 pm to 6 pm.
Groups can book visits during the week by calling (tel.: +33 (0)18.104.22.168.00)
Free admission for children under the age of 10.
Source: Préfecture du Nord