Neuilly-Saint-Front national cemetery
La nécropole nationale de Neuilly-Saint-Front. © Guillaume Pichard
Pour accéder au panneau d'information de la nécropole, cliquer ici
This national military cemetery, that brings together almost 2,100 bodies, contains the remains of French soldiers who died in the fighting that took place in the region in 1918. From the Great War, 2,039 French soldiers buried in two ossuaries, 22 Britons including 11 who are non-identified, four civilians and a Russian lie there. The bodies of 29 soldiers who died for France in 1939-1945 also lie there.
One of the most emblematic monuments of this conflict is erected here, a place that symbolises the second French assault on the Marne: the ghosts of Oulchy-le-Château. The work by the French sculptor of Polish origin, Paul Landowski, depicts ghosts keeping watch over a landscape that today is at peace. Seven dead soldiers, with empty eyes, in the middle of whom appears the naked figure of a hero and martyr, are a reminder of the suffering of the soldiers who died in July 1918.
Au bord de la D4 avant d'entrer dans le bourg
Visites libres toute l’année