Pierrepont French national war cemetery

La nécropole nationale de Pierrepont. © ECPAD


Pour accéder au panneau d'information de la nécropole, cliquer ici vignette_Pierrepont


The national war cemetery of Pierrepont contains the remains of soldiers who died for France in the Battle of the Frontiers in August 1914. Created in 1920, it bears witness to the extreme violence of the battles on 22 and 23 August 1914 around Pierrepont, which were among the bloodiest of the Great War. Established successively in 1920-1921, then in 1932-1936 to bring together the bodies exhumed from temporary military cemeteries in the region of Longwy and the Crusnes, Spincourt, the Othain and the Loison, this national war cemetery contains the remains of 3,758 French soldiers, 1,416 of which are in individual graves. The remains of 2,342 servicemen were placed in two ossuaries. Alongside them rest the bodies of 493 Russian, 141 Belgian, 2 British and 1 Romanian servicemen.

Several soldiers killed during World War II, including 20 French, 55 Soviet and 1 Czech, are buried at this site.

Erected in 1922 at the centre of the war cemetery, a lantern tower is dedicated to the memory of the allied soldiers who disappeared during the fighting at Pierrepont on 22-23 August 1914. The stones of the lantern tower come from a former cloth factory which was dismantled stone by stone and reassembled in the cemetery. The size of this monument is explained by the desire to emulate the imposing monument in the nearby German cemetery, where 3,017 soldiers were laid to rest.


  • La nécropole nationale de Pierrepont. © ECPAD

  • La nécropole nationale de Pierrepont. © Aimelaime

  • La nécropole nationale de Pierrepont. © ECPAD

  • La nécropole nationale de Pierrepont. © ECPAD

  • La nécropole nationale de Pierrepont. © ECPAD

  • Soldats français déployés dans un champs, été 1914. © Collection particulière - FBN - DR

  • Mise en batterie d'un canon de 120 long à Beaumont, 1916. © Collections BDIC/Capitaine Jammes

  • Colonel du 151e régiment d’infanterie et quelque uns de ses officiers devant les ruines du château de Sampigny, mai 1916. © Collections BDIC

  • Mitrailleuse St Etienne position de tir contre avions, tranchée de Xon, 1917. © Collections BDIC

  • Musique du 151e régiment d'infanterie, octobre 1918. © Collections BDIC

  • Soldats du 151e régiment d’infanterie en exercice d'’instruction pour maniement d'un canon de 37mm, Ecuelle, octobre 1918. © Collections BDIC

  • Hauts-fourneaux de l’usine de Gourainville, près Longwy, février 1919. © Collections BDIC

  • > Return to results

    Practical information


    Au sud de Longwy, D 66

    Weekly opening hours

    Visites libres toute l’année


    Eléments remarquables

    Tour-lanterne aux morts des 22 et 23 août 1914

    Read more