The "La Valette" national cemetery in Abreschviller
La nécropole nationale de La Valette. © ECPAD
Pour accéder au panneau d'information de la nécropole, cliquer ici
The La Valette national cemetery brings together the remains of 455 French soldiers, including 372 buried in two ossuaries, who died during the Battle of Sarrebourg in August 1914. It adjoins a German cemetery holding 274 bodies, 70 of whom are in individual graves and 204 in an ossuary. These German soldiers belonged to military units whose garrisons were in Bade, from Bavaria, Wurtemberg, Lorraine and Alsace and the Rhineland.
Created in 1914 following the Battle of Sarrebourg, it was developed in 1925 by bringing together the bodies exhumed from the surrounding areas, in particular Vasperviller, Voyer, Nitting, Landange, Bébing... Nearby, on the forest track between the Biberkirch and Voyer forests, an isolated grave preserves the memory of an officer, second lieutenant Petermann from the 149th infantry regiment (RI). This young graduate of the Saint Cyr military academy had on him a letter in which he expressed his desire to be buried at the spot where he fell.
Au sud de Sarrebourg, D 44
Visites libres toute l’année
Comité départemental du tourisme de la Moselle
2-4, rue du Pont Moreau
57003 Metz Cedex 01
Tél. : 03 87 37 57 80