Museum of the Resistance in the Morvan
Vue d'une salle du musée. © ARORM
The Museum recounts the acts of resistance and the history of the maquis (resistance fighters) in the Morvan mountain range during the Occupation.
Situated in Saint-Brisson in the Nièvre, inside the Morvan Natural Regional Park centre, the Museum of the Resistance shows, through its permanent exhibition and educational activities, the many acts of resistance and the history of the maquis in the Morvan mountain range during the Occupation.
The Morvan was witness to an early resistance movement: from 1941, it served as a refuge for those seeking to flee from repression and wanting to fight against the occupying forces and the Vichy regime. On the 21st November 1942, a small group of resistance fighters received the first allied parachute drops on occupied territory. An embryonic "maquis" (underground) movement began to form. Hostility towards the occupying forces, the struggle against fascism and opposition to the Vichy regime and anti-Jewish repression were to nurture the first opposition groups. Then the maquis became organised and structured; their numbers increased as did those of the "maquisards" (members of the resistance) who flooded to join, thanks to the parachute drops of weapons: there were up to 10,000 maquisards by the summer of 1944. The maquis alone liberated most of the territory in the Morvan. But the war left behind it a deep trauma associated with the Nazi barbarity. The occupation had left a strong mark on the country: arrests, deportations, executions and the burning of farms and whole villages. The Morvan has several martyred villages such as Dun-les-Places, Montsauche and Planchez. In 1970, historians from the university of Burgundy gathered in a study centre and, with the help of witnesses, took part in the publication of works on the occupation and Resistance movement in the Morvan. Following the success of a first exhibition, the Morvan occupation and Resistance research association (association pour la recherche sur l'occupation et la Resistance en Morvan or ARORM) was born in 1981 and it was decided to create a museum in order to make use of the documents and various objects collected by the resistance fighters. The Museum of the Resistance, which is managed by the association, opened n 1983. Through its documented evocation of the German occupation and the underground Resistance movement, the museum passes on to future generations the importance of protecting freedom and winning it back. The German Occupation, the Resistance, the liberation and how it is remembered are explained to visitors with the aid of documents and objects of the time (pamphlets, weapons, photographs and uniforms etc.). The German occupation and repression are addressed from a factual angle, covering the restriction of freedom and the Compulsory Work Service (Service du Travail Obligatoire or STO), as well as censorship and Nazi propaganda. The museum relates the acts of Resistance, from 1941 involving resistance figures from the Morvan; it provides details on the organisation of the maquis, highlighting first and foremost the support given to the Resistance movement by the Allies. Another part of the museum is devoted to the liberation of the region and in particular to the Battle of Creux-la-Ville (12th - 16th August 1944). A collection of photographs, letters and poems is preserved in the documentation centre, which has more than 4,000 documents, allowing the museum to keep the memory of the Resistance movement in the Morvan alive.
Its contents are also comprised of works on the Morvan in the fields of history, geography and even academic papers. The museum offers educational activities (questionnaires and DVDs etc) as well as tours, such as that of the martyred village of Dun-les-Places (a reconstruction of life in the maquis from original documents). It receives around 800 students every year. The ARORM works in close collaboration with the universities of Burgundy and the Franche-Comté. Its work is varied: the publication of work, study days, temporary exhibitions, guided tours, the collection and promotion of archives, cultural demonstrations, creating digital aids (CD-ROM and DVD). It also provides teachers with thematic files and display boards. In addition, the ARORM assists the teaching establishments in preparing for the national competition for the education of young people in the Resistance movement and the Deportation. This museum fully responds to the requirements of pupils and their teachers, within the framework of courses in history and civic, legal and social education, giving visitors the valuable opportunity to find out more about the role and the importance of the Resistance movement in the scrubland of the Morvan during the Second World War.
Museum of the Resistance in the Morvan Maison du Parc 58230 Saint-Brisson Tel. +33 (0)3 86 78 72 99 Opening times May to September: 10 am -1 pm and 2 pm - 6 pm. Closed all day Tuesday and Saturday morning April, October and November: 10 am -1 pm and 2 pm - 5 pm. Closed all day Tuesday and Saturday morning July - August: Open every day 10 am -1 pm and 2 pm - 6 pm Open all year round for groups, by appointment Rates Adults : 4 € Groups more than 10 people: 2.50 € Students and children aged 8 to 15 : 2.50 € Children under 8 years: free Audio-guides in French, Dutch and English: 1 € The Museum of the Resistance is a site included in the "Clé des Musées" Pass Guided tours available on request
Maison du Parc 58230
Tél. 03 86 78 72 99
Adultes: 4 euros Groupes (+ de 10 personnes): 2,50 € Enfants de 8 à 15 ans: 2,50 € Etudiants: 2,50 € Gratuit : Enfants (- de 8 ans)
Mai à septembre : 10-13h et 14-18h Avril, octobre, novembre : 10-13h et 14-17h juillet - août: 10-13h et 14-18h
Fermé le mardi et le samedi matin sauf en juillet-août.