Suresnes American Cemetery

Suresnes American Cemetery. Source: American Battle Monuments Commission

 

This 7.5-acre cemetery was created in 1917 by the Graves Registration Service and inaugurated in 1919.

 

The cemetery covers an area of 7.5 acres and the US was granted perpetual use of this land free of charges and taxation by the French government.

Established in 1917 by the Graves Registration Service, part of the army’s quartermaster corps, it was intended to shelter the remains of soldiers who fell during the First World War. Many of them died of their wounds or illness in the hospitals in Paris or were victims of the influenza epidemic of 1918- 1919. 

 

At the end of the Second World War, it was decided that this cemetery would be dedicated to victims of both world wars. Consequently, an additional plot of graves was reserved to hold the remains of 24 unknown soldiers killed during World War II.

Loggias and memorial rooms were added either side of the original chapel. The graveyard comprises four plots of burial places: three for victims of the First World War with a total of 1,541 graves, and a fourth plot where 24 soldiers, marines and pilots lie, all unknown and killed during the Second World War.


The exterior surface is limestone from Val d'Arion and the four peristyle columns are monolithic. Inside the chapel, the walls and columns are made from Rocheret limestone. The ceiling is oak panelled. Four bronze plaques bear the names of the 974 men buried or lost at sea during the First World War.

The door in the left-hand wall of the chapel leads to the First World War loggia, a covered walkway with a side opening through which visitors can see the graveyards further down and, in the distance, Paris. The walls are limestone. The door in the right-hand wall of the chapel leads to the Second World War loggia, similar to that dedicated to the First World War, with the exception of the inscriptions on the walls. The original chapel, designed by the architect Charles A. Platt from New York was completed in 1932. William and Geoffrey Platt, sons of Charles A. Platt, created the loggias and memorial rooms added to the chapel in 1952. The original cemetery was inaugurated in 1919, on Memorial Day. The inauguration of the Second World War cemetery was held on 13 September 1952.


 


American Battle Monuments Commission

The American Battle Monuments Commission (ABMC), founded by United States Congress in 1923, is an agency of the executive branch of the federal government. Its mission is to preserve the memory of the sacrifices and deeds of the American military forces wherever they have served since 6 April 1917, the date the United States entered the First World War.


 


Visits Open every day (except 25 December and 1 January) from 9 am to 5 pm.

Admission and guided tours are free of charge.

Information is available from the visitor information centre.


 

Getting there

By train (SNCF): From Paris Saint-Lazare or La Défense, take the train to Suresnes Mont Valérien.

By bus: take the 160, 241 or 360 (Stop: Cluseret Hôpital Foch)

By road: From Pont de Suresnes (bridge), follow the blue signs: American Military Cemetery and Memorial


 

Suresnes American Cemetery

123 bd Washington 92150 Suresnes - France

Tel: +33 (0)1 46 25 01 70

Fax: +33 (0)1 46 25 01 71

E-mail: suresnes@abmc.gov


 

American Battle Monuments Commission

68 rue du 19 janvier BP 50 92380 Garches

Tel: +33 (0)1 47 01 37 49


 


 

American Battle Monuments Commission

  • Le cimetière Américain de Suresnes. Source : American Battle Monuments Commission

  • Le cimetière Américain de Suresnes. Source : American Battle Monuments Commission

  • > Return to results

    Practical information

    Address

    123 bd Washington 92150
    Suresnes
    Tél. : 01 46 25 01 70Fax : 01 46 25 01 71 American Battle Monuments Commission68 rue du 19 janvier BP 5092380 GarchesTel : 01 47 01 37 49

    Weekly opening hours

    Ouvert tous les jours de 9h00 à 17h00.

    Fermetures annuelles

    25 décembre et 1er janvier