Museum of Flandres
L'intérieur du Musée. © Flanders Field Museum
Museum of Flandres of Ypres
In the Middle Age , Ypres was with, Bruges and Gand, one of the most important commercial cities of Flandres. The Sheet Hall in the big Market Place, the market hall is the storage place of the textiles of Ypres, this is an example of the enormous richness of this town in the XIII century. During the First World war Ypres was the center of the salient of Ypres and one of the bloodiest zones of the west front. Between October 1914 and October 1918 on five battlefields 500 000 victims were counted. The Germans never besieged the old medieval town, except for one day only. It was completely devastated by the different fights.
After the war the city was completely rebuilt and became one of the biggest centers of Memory of the war. In the new Sheet Hall, the Flandres Field Museum was constructed on 1998. Here the history of the 1914 - 1918 War is proposed to the 21st century public, with the use of a current technology. Take notice of: - The Ypres Centre with the Sheet Halls and the Saint Martin church - The Flandres Field Museum on the first floor of the Sheet Hall - The town of Ypres received the Military Cross from Mister Poincaré on January 28th 1920.
The front line towards Ypres has a half circular form encircling Ypres. Northwards you can find the flooded plane of Yser and the Belgian sector. Southwards, the line follows Wijtschate and Messines to come back down towards the Lys valley and the French border. On this soil five bloody battles took place. During the first Ypres battle (October 17th - November 22nd 1914), the French and British try to fight against the German breakthrough towards the channel harbours. The second battle of Ypres ( April 22nd - May 24th 1915), started with the first toxic gas attack in history. Another time, the French and English broke the German offensive, but this time the front line was far too small.
Two years later, in 1917 the great British attack took place and ended 100 days after in Passendale. This third Ypres battle (July 31st - November 10th 1917) was the bloodiest among the five. During the German offensive in springtime (April - May 1918) the terrain conquered by the allies was lost and in Kemmel the front was pierced. Thus the positions remained until the end of August. At the end of September 1918 the allied liberation offensive broke through the salient of Ypres for good. Today more then 140 cemeteries and three big Memorials point out the great presence of the Commonwealth troops. The French presence was also very important and sometimes even crucial. One of the biggest German necropolises is situated near Langemark.
- The Menin Gate in Ypres counting nearly 55 000 names of missing soldiers of the Commonwealth. Every evening at 8:00 p.m. the Last Post is played in memory of the victims. - The Tyne Cot Cemetery in Passendale, is with more then 12 000 graves and 35 000 names of missing soldiers the biggest military cemetery of the Commonwealth. - The necropolis of Langemark preserves the Memory of 44 500 identified German soldiers and of 11 800 unknown soldiers.
The Flandres Field Museum is open every day from April to September, from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and from October to March from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. from Tuesday to Sunday included. The Museum is closed during the three weeks of the end year festivities. Phone number : 00 32 57 22 85 84 Website : email@example.com, www.inflandersfields.be Streekbezoekerscentrum Ieper - 0032 57 22 85 84 email : firstname.lastname@example.org Website : http://www.ieper.be
Grote Markt 34 8900
Tél. + 32(0) 57 239 450Tél. : 32 (0) 57 23 92 20Fas : 32 (0) 57 23 92 75 Streekbezoekerscentrum Ieper - 00 32 57 22 85 84 e-mail : email@example.com
Ouvert chaque jour d'avril à septembre de 10 h à 18 h et d'octobre à mars de 10 h à 17 h du mardi jusqu'au dimanche inclus.
Trois semaines suivant les fêtes de fin d'année