Vermelles - British Cemetery
Cemetery. Source: http://www.cwgc.org
Located 10 km (6 miles) northwest of Lens, this cemetery was begun in August 1915 and now shelters the remains of over 2,000 soldiers, nearly 200 of who are unidentified.
Located just six miles northwest of Lens, this cemetery was started in August 1915 during the Battle of Loos-en-Gohelle, when the chateau was used as a medical clinic. This site contains the bodies of over 2,000 fallen soldiers, 200 of which were never identified; special memorials were erected to six soldiers from the United Kingdom, known to be buried among them. Seven French soldiers are also buried here.
At the entrance to the cemetery, the chapel of Notre Dame de Lourdes built before the war by the Bréhon family has been reconstructed in its original spot.
MINDEF/SGA/DMPA Northern territory
Tél : 08 99 02 20 39 Fax : 08 99 02 04 12
Open all year