Ménil-sur-Belvitte French national war cemetery
La nécropole nationale de Ménil-sur-Belvitte. © ECPAD
Pour accéder au panneau d'information de la nécropole, cliquer ici
Begun in 1914 following the Battle of Mortagne, the national war cemetery of Ménil-sur-Belvitte contains the remains of 1,096 French soldiers, 197 of which were placed in an ossuary. In 1924, this site was rearranged to hold the exhumed remains from temporary military cemeteries in the region. On the initiative of the Abbé Collé, village priest and local representative of the association Souvenir Français, a monument was erected, opposite the cemetery, to commemorate the 13th, 14th, 15th and 21st Army Corps. In the parish church, a stain glass window also commemorates the commitment of these units. During the war, this priest transformed his rectory into an infirmary. From 1915, he created a museum with objects found in the surrounding battlefields. In 1944, this collection disappeared during the withdrawal of the occupying troops.
Visites libres toute l’année