The Sarraltroff national cemetery
La nécropole nationale de Sarraltroff. © ECPAD
Pour accéder au panneau d'information de la nécropole, cliquer ici
In August 1914, following the Battle of Sarrebourg, the German army brought together the bodies of the French and German soldiers in one cemetery. At the end of the war, between 1924 and 1925, the French administration developed this site in order to welcome the mortal remains of soldiers who had initially been buried in the region of Sarraltroff and Dolving. Today, close to a German military cemetery, the Sarraltroff national cemetery holds 278 French soldiers, 227 of whom are buried in two ossuaries.
In the village of Sarraltroff, the stele referred to as "The Trench of Death" is a tribute to the French soldiers from the 27th, 29th and 227th infantry regiments (RI) based in Dijon and Autun, who lost 270 men during the French offensive of 19 August 1914. These men today lie in this cemetery.
Au nord de Sarrebourg, D 43
Visites libres toute l’année
14, rue Louis Majorelle
Tél. : 03 83 94 51 90