Fort de la Crèche
Vestiges of the Atlantic Wall at Fort de la Crèche in Wimereux. Source: GNU Free Documentation License
An old coastal battery set up on the site of a former Napoleonic fort – Fort de Terlincthun
"Fort de la Crèche" is a former coastal battery set up on the site of a former Napoleonic fort, Fort de Terlincthun, built in 1806 and dismantled in 1864. This coastal battery was built in 1879 following the principles of Séré de Rivières to defend the port of Boulogne.
It comprised the northern defences, supplemented southward by the Tour d'Odre (still occupied by the French National Navy today), Mont de Couppe and Cap d'Alprech Batteries, built during the same period. Demilitarised in 2002, "Fort de la Crèche" is now owned by the Conservatoire de l'Espace Littoral et des Rivages Lacustres (French Coastal Protection Agency).
The “Fort de la Crèche” Association, under contract, has taken on the mission of preserving, restoring and animating this built heritage. From the month of April through the month of September, it organises guided tours hosted by volunteers. It welcomes groups year round by reservation. Along with the building from 1879, the site also presents the modernisation carried out on the military facilities – occupied by the French Army and then the French Navy – from 1930 to 1940.
The Germans then occupied the site, building bunkers on top of the old French platforms and integrating it into the “Atlantic Wall".
The tour itinerary that is being set up will be a 200-year journey through Time with a "reading" of the landscapes and buildings.
Fort de la Crèche
Association Fort de la Crèche (AFLC) BP 25 62930 Wimereux
Entrance to the Fort on the D 96 road between the La Crèche roundabout and Terlincthun at Wimereux. Guided tours only.
Quizz : Forts et citadels
06 17 86 14 44
Plein tarif : 3 € Tarif réduit : 1 € Groupes de jeunes (8 à 18 ans) : 1,50 € par jeune Groupe d'adultes : 2 € par personne
Visites individuelles de février à octobre Visites de groupes toute l'année sur rdv