Josephine Baker’s induction into the French Pantheon
Following the decision of the French president, Josephine Baker entered the Pantheon on 30 November 2021.
Josephine Baker, a Free France heroine and anti-discrimination activist
- Read a short biography of Josephine Baker
- See images of Josephine Baker from the ECPAD collections:
- A collection of photos (slideshow at bottom of page)
"I have two loves...": a film from the archives of Josephine Baker performing to soldiers in 1939
- See a selection of digitised excerpts from the military dossier of Josephine Baker archived with the Service Historique de la Défense in Vincennes
- Read a comic strip created by students at the Académie de Corse that won third prize at the "Bulles de Mémoire" competition held by the ONAC-VG in 2020
Women’s engagement: a constant in contemporary conflicts
- The epic exploits of Marie-Antoinette Lix, a video from Web-série 1870 about a female French patriot who enlisted in the Franco-Prussian War.
- The emancipation of women during World War One an article by Françoise Thébaud in Les chemins de la mémoire magazine, issue 159
- The “Women and Resistance” exhibition presents the profiles of 46 women engaged in World War II, including Josephine Baker.
- Go to our page dedicated to International Women’s Day, to read about many examples of women enlisted in contemporary conflicts
Biographies of other female figures engaged in the anti-Nazi campaign