Le Sourd national war cemetery in Lemé
La nécropole nationale de Lemé. © Guillaume Pichard
Pour accéder au panneau d'information de la nécropole, cliquer ici
Established between 1934 and 1936, this cemetery was created by the German army in 1916 to bury the soldiers of the Battle of Guise on 28 and 29 August 1914, then later those that died in October 1918. Inaugurated in the presence of Wilhelm II, since then other bodies have been laid to rest there having been exhumed from cemeteries in Aisne.
This war cemetery contains 1,333 French soldiers including 571 in an ossuary, 727 Germans, 25 Russians, two Italians and a Romanian who all fell between 1914 and 1918.
There are the bodies of three French servicemen and two civilians buried here from the Second World War.
Among the soldiers buried here, are the remains of a lieutenant of the 71st Infantry Regiment, Pierre de Raguenel de Montmorel, who died on 29th August 1914. Three of his brothers, also officers, also lost their lives during the conflict.
On the German side, also buried in this cemetery is Friedrich von Bismarck, Oberstleutnant, grandson of Chancellor Otto von Bismarck, who died on 5th November 1916.
The cemetery has several monuments in memory of both German and French regiments.
Lemé le sourd
À l’est de Saint-Quentin, D 773
Visites libres toute l’année
Agence de développement et de réservation touristiques
24/28, avenue Charles de Gaulle
Tél. : 03 23 27 76 76