The ramparts (fixed bridge). Source: http://www.maubeugelibre.fr
The ramparts of Maubeuge.
Clearly visible from Place des Centenaires, the ramparts of Maubeuge, which date to Vauban's time, are an ideal site to visit. Only one gateway remains, the Mons, but its drawbridge and pediment have many interesting features. Nearby is the guardroom, which is similar to those on some of Vauban's other ramparts and structures.
There is a fortification museum here.
The town suffered greatly in the Second World War. The architect Lurçat was in charge of reconstruction.
There are several slabs and plaques in commemoration of the two world wars. In the cemetery, there is a monument dedicated to soldiers from Maubeuge who fought in the war of 1870. There is a monument in memory of the French revolution on Place Vauban, site of the monument commemorating the battled of Wattignies, thanks to which the siege of Maubeuge was lifted. Jean-Baptiste Jourdan and Lazare Carnot are notably remembered. Close by, a 1917 Renault tank is on display.
Museum of fortifications
Visits on Sundays from 3 pm to 5 pm, from April to November, and by appointment.
Tourist Information Office: +33 18.104.22.168.93
Website of the regional tourist board for the Nord
Quizz : Forts and citadels
Maubeuge. Source : Photo DMPA Territoire Nord
Les remparts de Maubeuge. Source : Photo Etablissement du Génie de Lille