The military remains in Saint-Pol-sur-Mer
Tableau de Jean-Baptiste Martin immortalisant la cérémonie inaugurale de l’écluse, le 6 février 1715. Cette œuvre préfigurait la future commune de Saint-Pol-sur-Mer (1871). Source : site communaute-urbaine-dunkerque.fr
Les vestiges militaires de Saint-Pol-sur-Mer.
Saint-Pol-sur-Mer is a former commune with a population of 24,000 and is the site of a number of military remains. These include: The remains of the Jean Bart lock, which can be seen in the Jacobsen park. The lock was built in 1715 at the mouth of the Mardyck canal (now a freeway) to compensate for the destruction imposed by the Peace of Utrecht. It was considered the finest in Europe at the time. In 1717, following the Treaty of the Hague, the decision was made to demolish the lock and Russian Tsar Peter the Great physically came to the site to ensure the plan was followed through. In honour of the First World War (1914-1918), a plaque was erected in memory of aviator Georges Guynemer who spent his last night at 192 rue de la République before his fatal flight in September 1917 over Poelkapelle, while his squadron had been stationed on the ground in St Pol since July of that year.
A remnant from the Second World War, an armoured chamber with its anti-aircraft bunker at the site of the oil company Dépôts de Pétrole Côtiers on Avenue Maurice Berteaux.
Tél. 03 28 29 66 00 / Fax 03 28 60 73 34
Accessible toute l'année