Le fort des Basses Perches. Source : © Dr Balliet J.M. - http://www.fortifications.fr
Fort des Basses Perches was built between 1874 and 1877 on the site of a terraced road built during the siege of Belfort in 1870.
On the southern edge of Belfort, Fort des Basses Perches was built between 1874 and 1877 from a dry masonry fort completed by Colonel Denfert-Rochereau in 1870.
The first known fortification on Perches hill (excavation work) dates back to 1815. It is a "cavalier"-type fort with open positions for long-range artillery positioned above the barracks, close-defence artillery and on-site infantry located on the lower ramparts crowning the ditch.
The particularity of Fort des Basses Perches is to have been built with counterscarp coffers instead of caponiers (covered passage) which were normally used at this time; the use of counterscarp coffers (less vulnerable as they are located on the other side of the ditch) did not become widespread until after 1885.
In times of war, a garrison of around 180 men was installed at Basses-Perches, 230 men at Hautes-Perches, with each fort armed with some 20 cannons. Neither of these two forts was modernised after construction.
Tourist Information Office
2 rue Clemenceau
Tel: +33 (0)3 84 55 90 90
Fax: +33 (0)3 84 55 90 70
Le fort des Basses Perches. Source : Jean-Claude GIROUD . La Caponnière