Fort of Meroux
Ouvrage de Meroux. © Monuments historiques. Source : Ministère de la culture - base Mérimée
This intermediate fortification was built between 1908 and 1913 to reinforce the line of defence between Fort de Vézelois and Fort Fougerais.
The intermediate fortification of Meroux was built between 1908 and 1913 to reinforce the line of defence between Fort of Vézelois and the Fort of Fougerais.
Small in size and with a very simple design, it represents the final step in the evolution of French fortification before the First World War.
Built entirely of concrete, it has a trapezoid shape and is surrounded by a ditch defended by two counterscarp coffers.
Access was via the ditch and all of the fort's parts are interconnected by bulletproof underground passages.
There is a parapet for infantry on top.
It could accommodate over 400 men in its barracks.
Fort of Méroux
Rue de l'Ouvrage
Tourist Information Office
2 rue Clemenceau
Tel.: +33 (0)03 84 55 90 90
Fax : +33 (0)3 84 55 90 70
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Quizz : Forts et citadelles
Rue de l'Ouvrage 90400
Tel.: 03 84 55 90 90Fax : 03 84 55 90 70
Se renseigner pour l'accessibilité au site