Le fort du Réduit, Lille
Fort and Chapelle du Réduit, Lille from the belfry of Lille. Source: ©VIGNERON - License Creative Commons - Free of rights
The Fort du Réduit, formerly called Fort Saint-Sauveur, was built by Vauban between 1671-1674 .
The purpose was to strengthen fortifications south of the town and to make an impression on the working-class population of Saint-Sauveur who were becoming troublesome. It was used to store weapons and had a small garrison with a commanding officer, like at the Citadel.
Fort Saint-Sauveur was decommissioned in 1859. Because of this, only a few buildings and a classical-style chapel dating from 1707, built in white stone from Lezennes are all that remain. Only a few additional constructions have been added since 1947.
The Fort still accommodates military engineering services today.
Quizz : Forts and citadels