The Mont Frenet national cemetery in La Cheppe
La nécropole nationale "Le Mont Frenet". © ECPAD
Pour accéder au panneau d'information de la nécropole, cliquer ici
The Mont Frenet cemetery is one of 34 national cemeteries located in the Marne. It holds the remains of soldiers who died for France during the battles that took place in the Champagne region between 1914 and 1918. Created in 1915, this cemetery initially brought together the bodies of soldiers who had died as a result of their wounds at the 3/65 ambulance centre located at Mont Frenet. Set up at a railway junction, the centre enabled quick treatment of the wounded thanks to the Suippes-Châlons route. Located at the very site of the 3/65 ambulance centre, the cemetery holds 2,307 bodies including 2,282 French soldiers, 12 Britons, three Czechs and an American. Nine French soldiers from the Second World War are also buried here. It was extended after the war to accommodate bodies from isolated graves and some temporary military cemeteries such as Beauséjour, Tahure and Sainte-Marie-à-Py.
Among the soldiers lies Hill Stanley (1896-1918), an American volunteer who served in the ranks of the French army's medical corps. On 14 August 1918, after a month of agony, he died at La Veuve (51) as a result of his injuries.
Au nord-est de Châlons-sur-Marne, D 77
Visites libres toute l’année
Comité départemental du tourisme de la Marne
13 bis, rue Carnot
51006 Châlons-en-Champagne Cedex
Tél. : 03 26 68 37 52