Maucourt National Cemetery
La nécropole nationale de Maucourt. © ECPAD
Pour accéder au panneau d'information de la nécropole, cliquer ici
Founded in 1920, Maucourt National Cemetery is home to soldiers who died for France during various battles that took place in the Somme. It was established in 1935-1936 and contains the bodies of 5,272 French soldiers from WWI including 1,534 buried in six ossuaries. Some of the bodies were exhumed from temporary cemeteries from town and villages in the department.
From 1949 to 1953, WWII victims were also buried in the cemetery. Maucourt National Cemetery preserves the memory of 24 French and six Commonwealth pilots (five British and one Canadian).
These Royal Air Force men were crew members of the Halifax B - MK.II - s/n HR784 HD. After bombing the Skoda armaments factory in Pilsen (Czechoslovakia), the aircraft was shot down on 17 April 1943, crashing in Maucourt. Of the seven crew members, only one managed to jump out with his parachute and was captured by the Germans.
Au nord de Roye, D 39 E
Visites libres toute l’année
Comité départemental du tourisme de la Somme
21, rue Ernest Cauvin
Tél. 03 22 71 22 71