Loupeigne National Cemetery
La nécropole nationale de Loupeigne. © Guillaume Pichard
Pour accéder au panneau d'information de la nécropole, cliquer ici
The Loupeigne National Cemetery, built on the side of a hill in 1919, is home to soldiers who died for France from 1914 to 1918 during battle in the Aisne department, mostly in the period from May to June 1918. From 1920 to 1924, other French soldiers who were initially buried in other military cemeteries in the region were transferred here, including many unidentified bodies.
Today, this national cemetery is home to 1,077 soldiers including 598 French soldiers, 120 of whom lie in an ossuary. One French soldier from WWII also lies in the cemetery.
This national cemetery also includes a German section with 478 soldiers who died in 1918 during the Ludendorff fourth offensive, which started on the Chemin des Dames on 27 May and led them to Château-Thierry in June 1918.
A mausoleum chapel was built in memory of the artillery and infantry officers who died in 1917 and 1918.
Au bord de la D79 entre Loupeigne et Mareuil-en-Dôle
Visites libres toute l’année