Bras-sur-Meuse National Cemetery
La nécropole nationale de Bras-sur-Meuse. © ECPAD
Pour accéder au panneau d'information de la nécropole, cliquer ici
Bras-sur-Meuse National Cemetery holds the remains of 6,537 soldiers who died for France. From the First World War, 6,386 French soldiers, including 2,000 buried in two ossuaries, are buried here. Established in 1916 during the Battle of Verdun (February to November 1916), it was later developed between 1919 and 1934. The cemetery brings together bodies exhumed from military cemeteries on the right bank of the River Meuse. The ossuaries contain the remains of unknown and unidentified soldiers who fell at Côte 344, Haudromont, Froideterre, Côte du Poivre, Thiaumont and Louvemont, etc.
The bodies of 151 soldiers who fell during the battles in June 1940 and were buried in several villages in the Meuse during the Second World War were transferred here in 1961.
The soldiers buried here include Corporal Louis Micol, of the 19th Bataillon de Chasseurs, who founded one of the first newspapers at the Front, called Le son du cor, the trench newspaper written by the Chasseurs à pied (light infantry). He was killed on 18 September 1915 in Brabant (grave No.390).
A 7 km au nord de Verdun, sur le CD 964
Visites libres toute l’année
Comité Départemental du Tourisme de la Meuse
33, rue des Grangettes
55012 Bar-le-Duc Cedex
Tél. 03 29 45 78 40