Newsletter

"Le Trottoir" National Cemetery

Les Éparges

Nécropole nationale "le Trottoir", les Éparges. © Guillaume Pichard

 

Pour accéder au panneau d'information de la nécropole, cliquer ici  necropole_Les Eparges-Trottoir

 

The National Cemetery known as "Le Trottoir" holds the remains of soldiers who died for France during the battles on the Hauts-de-Meuse between 1914 and 1918. Established in 1915, the cemetery was redesigned in 1922, 1924, 1933 and again in 1934 to accommodate the bodies of soldiers killed in this sector and exhumed from the nearby cemeteries in Eparges and Mesnil-sous-les-Côtes. 2,960 French soldiers are buried here, including 852 in the ossuary.

In the first row on the right, as you enter the necropolis, lies Robert Porchon, friend and brother-in-arms of Maurice Genevoix. At the beginning of the war, this man, born in 1894 in the Loiret, was made Second Lieutenant of the 106th Infantry Regiment, where he met up with an old school friend, Maurice Genevoix. He was killed on 19 (or 20) February 1915 after being hit by shrapnel. Immortalised in Maurice Genevoix' novel, Ceux de 14, Robert Porchon, in his letters and in the diary he kept, also gives us the most fascinating insight on the war.

The incredible brutality of the battles that took place in this area and in which both the French and the Germans suffered similar losses (10,000 killed or missing in action) prefigured the violence of the offensives into Verdun and the Somme in 1916 and the supremacy of artillery fire.

Genevoix, who became a novelist, was to write later, in Ceux de 14: "What we did, it was more than should ever be asked of any man, and yet we did it."


 

  • Nécropole nationale "le Trottoir", les Éparges. © Guillaume Pichard

  • Nécropole nationale "le Trottoir", les Éparges. © Guillaume Pichard

  • Nécropole nationale "le Trottoir", les Éparges. © Guillaume Pichard

  • Nécropole nationale "le Trottoir", les Éparges. © Guillaume Pichard

  • Nécropole nationale "le Trottoir", les Éparges. © Guillaume Pichard

  • Cagnas sur la butte des Éparges, 6 octobre 1915. © ECPAD

    6 octobre 1915 aux Éparges, sur le flanc de la butte des Éparges, deux hommes posent devant l'entrée d'une cagna creusée dans la pente. Une cagna est un abri léger, dans la terre ou fait de boisages, où peuvent se tenir les combattants en cas de bombardement.

  • Atelier "A la Gerbe d'Or", fabrique de bague de tranchées 6 octobre 1915. © ECPAD

    Un lieutenant tient un canif et deux hommes du rang sont assis devant l'entrée d'une cagna baptisée "à la Gerbe d'Or", où l’on fabrique des bijoux. Une petite marmite est posée sur un réchaud et permet de faire fondre l’aluminium pour réaliser des bagues.

  • Entrée du cimetière provisoire du Trottoir, 13 janvier 1916. © ECPAD

  • Panorama de la côte des Éparges, janvier-février 1916. © ECPAD

  • Puits sur la crête des Éparges, 15 février 1916. © ECPAD

  • Les Éparges, ravin de la Mort, février 1916. © ECPAD

    En février 1916, des soldats posent dans le ravin de Fragaoulle, appelé "ravin de la mort" par les soldats.

  • > Return to results

    Practical information

    Address

    55160 Les Eparges
    À 25 km au sud-est de Verdun, par la D 903 puis la D 154

    Weekly opening hours

    Visites libres toute l’année

    Read more

    Read more


    Comité Départemental du Tourisme de la Meuse

    33, rue des Grangettes - 55012 Bar-le-Duc Cedex

    Tél : 03 29 45 78 40

    Accéder au site internet

     

    Contact Pays d'Accueil Touristique des Côtes de Meuse

    Place Taylord - 55210 Vigneulles-les-Hattonchatel

    Tél-fax : 03 29 90 08 55 Tél-fax : 03 29 90 04 29

     

    Maison du Tourisme

    Tél. : 00 33 (0)3 29 86 14 18

     

    Comité Départemental du Tourisme

    Tél. : 00 33 (0)3 29 45 78 40

     

    Office du tourisme de la Meuse

     

    Verdun tourisme