The Quatre-Vents National Cemetery
La nécropole nationale des Quatre-Vents. © ECPAD
Pour accéder au panneau d'information de la nécropole, cliquer ici
Senoncourt-lès-Maujouy and Landrecourt were not strategic locations in battle operations, but villages to the rear of the front. However, medical and surgical units were set up in these two villages, 3/6 and 9/2 ambulances. Due to its proximity to a railway line, Landrecourt received large amounts of munitions, supplying the whole area. Similarly, in Landrecourt, Fort Jamin, a structure that was part of the Verdun defensive system, was equipped with turrets and observation posts, and also became a detention facility for German prisoners. Further west, at Souilly, where the French staff organised frontline resistance, military camps, a hospital and a prison camp were set up.
Located near the old 9/2 ambulance, the Quatre-Vents National Cemetery holds the bodies of 531 French soldiers, killed throughout the war in battles in the Verdun area. Built in 1916, this cemetery was further developed in 1920 to make room for the remains of soldiers originally buried in Recourt-le-Creux.
À 14 km au sud-ouest de Verdun, par la D 34 puis la D 159
Visites libres toute l’année
Comité Départemental du Tourisme de la Meuse
33, rue des Grangettes
55012 Bar-le-Duc Cedex
Tél. : 03 29 45 78 40