The Dugny-sur-Meuse national cemetery
La nécropole nationale de Dugny-sur-Meuse. © ECPAD
Pour accéder au panneau d'information de la nécropole, cliquer ici
The Dugny-sur-Meuse national cemetery brings together 1,386 Frenchmen who died for their country, notably during the Battle of Verdun. Created in 1916, then developed until 1934, it holds the remains of soldiers who were initially buried in isolated graves or in temporary military cemeteries such as Thierville. The mortal remains of 124 soldiers, including those of victims of the Tavannes tunnel fire, have been brought together in an ossuary.
The remains of 135 soldiers who died in 1940 in the department - notably those from the 9th Moroccan infantry regiment (RTM) killed between May and June - were brought here in 1962.
Among the soldiers buried at Dugny is the body of General Ernest-Jean Aimé, commander of the 67th infantry division (DI), and who fell on 6 September 1916 at Souville fort, buried in grave n° 1665. This general officer, who was born in 1858, chose the military way of life at the age of 11. A colonel at the start of the war, he was given command of the 21st infantry brigade, then of the 67th infantry division. On 6 September 1916, whilst on a reconnaissance mission near Souville fort, he was fatally injured by shrapnel. He was posthumously commended by the Army: General officer of the highest military and moral worth. Gloriously killed in action, whilst he was going towards the line of fire to reconnoitre the battlefield and support the morale of his troops, who were about to launch an attack.
A 8 km au sud de Verdun, par la D 34
Visites libres toute l’année
Comité Départemental du Tourisme de la Meuse
33, rue des Grangettes
55012 Bar-le-Duc Cedex
Tél. 03 29 45 78 40